CWA is a trade organization representing investor-owned water companies regulated by the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) that provide high-quality water utility services to nearly 6 million people throughout California.
Currently, the eight largest of these water companies participate in the Utility Supplier Diversity Program (USDP), and they are committed to the guiding principle of procuring goods and services from women, minority and disabled-veteran business enterprises (WMDVBEs).
CWA member companies work collaboratively to identify and share best practices to encourage opportunities and minimize barriers to procurement with WMDVBEs. In support of this pledge, CWA member companies have set substantial yet, realistic goals, and are striving to exceed the 21.5 percent WMDVBE procurement goal established by the California Legislature in Public Utility Code Sections 8281-8286.
Additionally, outreach programs have been implemented by the water companies to inform and engage WMDVBEs for procurement opportunities, including strong encouragement of water utilities’ prime contractors to utilize WMDVBE subcontractors.
Products and Services Purchased
Each year, these CPUC-regulated water utilities buy millions of dollars in products and services from qualified suppliers. Below are some of the products and services commonly purchased:
- Construction: general construction, concrete work, construction management, design, electrical, excavating, air-conditioning, painting, paving, plumbing, roofing, pipeline installation
- Maintenance and Repair: janitorial services, office machine services, landscaping, plumbing, air-conditioning, painting, electrical, pump repair, pipeline repair
- Materials and Supplies: office machines and supplies, furniture and fixtures, mechanical and electrical equipment, computers, computer-related supplies
- Promotional Services: advertising, marketing, public relations, photography, printing, catering
- Professional Services: banking, auditing, consulting, architecture, legal, finance
- Transportation: vehicle maintenance, automotive supplies, contract hauling, purchase of automobiles and trucks
- Warehousing: material handling, equipment and parts, cleaning supplies, hydrants, valves, copper and iron ductile pipe, meters